Business Interruption Insurance

Browne Craine

I should like to draw your attention to what may be possible for you, especially if you have a business that is currently affected by COVID-19.

In the first instance check your General Business Insurance Policy to establish if it covers Business Interruption.

If it does you then look to see if the policy covers “Notifiable Diseases”. If so COVID-19 is now a notifiable disease so as long as there is not a pandemic exclusion you may be covered for things like loss of turnover and loss of gross profit.

Another area worth checking is a section called the Prevention of Access – non damage extension. As we are all now prevented from working in our businesses and no damage has occurred this also may provide cover for loss of earnings and the cost of working elsewhere.

One thing that you must do as the policy holder ASAP is notify your insurer that you have had a Material Circumstance and have had to close your business/office/restaurant because of COVID-19.

I hope this helps. We are by no means experts in this field and would therefore suggest that you check your cover and then contact your respective Insurers.

Take care and keep well.

Craig Mitchell


For and on behalf of Browne Craine & Co

Peregrine Tiagnet ICAEW